Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Vegan tortilla soup

My husband and I are big fans of tortilla soup. I've tried to make it several times, but it never seemed to taste right. I finally found the winning recipe that my mom emailed me from a book called The 30-Minute Vegan: Over 175 Quick, Delicious, and Healthy Recipes for Everyday Cooking. Even if you're not vegan, there are plenty of flavorful and adaptable recipes that the whole family will love. For example, I add cooked chicken and shredded cheese to my husband's bowl to round his meal out. 

I've made it several times since the first try and it's always been a hit with the whole family. It also freezes well. I make two batches at a time to make sure I have plenty on hand. 


Mexican Tortilla Soup

1 tbs olive oil
1 cup yellow onion, chopped into medium dice
1 Anaheim or Jalapeno Chile, seeded and sliced thinly
4 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
1 15oz can diced tomatoes, preferable fire-roasted
1 15oz can black or pinto beans, drained
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
2 cups water or vegetable stock
2 tbs soy sauce
1/2 medium size avocado cubed
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro


In a medium size pot, sauté the olive oil, onion, Anaheim pepper and garlic over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the onions are translucent. Add the tomatoes, beans, chili powder, cumin, water and soy sauce. Cover and allow it to simmer for 10 minutes or so while you prepare the avocado and cilantro. 


Ladle the soup into bowls and top with a handful of tortillas and a sprinkling of avocado and cilantro.

1 comment:

Irene said...

We love this recipe. I usually make a double batch and freeze it. So Good!