Monday, January 18, 2010

Turn those stinky socks into a cold/flu remedy!


Although I usually share my experiences with food and young children here, I couldn’t resist sharing this natural remedy for the cold/flu. If you have kids, you know how they seem to be a germ magnet. I spoke with Lisa Miller of Lisa Miller Wellness and she shared a simple remedy you can do at home with your child to help ease the yuckiness of the cold or flu.

It’s called “Magic” Sock Therapy. And, no, the “magic” of the socks aren’t their stinkiness – make sure to use a clean pair of white cotton socks. Submerge them under really hot water for a few minutes and then wring them out. Put them over your child’s feet and then cover up with some wool socks.

After the socks cool off, repeat the above steps (using the same pair of cotton socks) for one to five hours, or until you’re well. The socks pull congestion through your head, down your body and through your feet. Make sure to bundle up well with some warm clothing and/or a blanket, because as the socks cool off, you’ll start to get chilly.

You can use this on yourself as well, and Lisa advised that it was best to do at night.

2 comments:

Vern said...

I thought my mother knew all of the natural remedies, but she definitely missed this one. I am certainly not anxious to get a cold or flu, but if I do I'll try this one. Thanks

Julie Hurley said...

I'd never heard of it before, either!